Thursday, February 7, 2013

Leadership Myths

Myths of Leadership (based on “306 Degree Leader” by John Maxwell)

1. the Position Myth: Leadership is a choice you make, not a place you sit
          Is there a co-worker who is your peer, or maybe even an employee, who you value and feel has contributed to your growth? Maybe that special someone is more of a leadership role model to you than the person who you report to based on the org chart. (Remember the management vs. leadership post in the last post J) .

2. the Destination Myth: when I get to the top, then I will learn to lead
          Could you just go out and run a marathon today? Probably not... it would take training right? Leadership is the same.

3. the Influence Myth: if I were on top, then people would follow me
          Ever had a boss who you couldn’t follow? The position just allows you the chance to lead. You still have to practise leadership over time to win people over.

4. the Inexperience Myth: when I get to the top, I’ll be in control
          Is the grass always greener on the other side? I think not. Moving up in the ranks presents its own set of new challenges. For example, do you think that big decision was truly made solely by your boss, or are there other factors at play such as his/her boss, other department decisions, outside influences.

5. the Freedom Myth: When I get to the top, I’ll no longer be limited
          Is the CEO really able to do whatever he/she wants? Of course not! Often the higher your rank in an organization, the more responsibility you have to more people. That doesn’t sound like freedom to me...    

6. the Potential Myth: I can’t reach my potential if I’m not the top leader
          Sounds a lot to me like “I could go to the gym/be more organized/eat healthier/etc. if I wanted to”. I believe you should try to be all you can be today without waiting for the perfect conditions (which likely won’t ever arise).

7. The All-or-Nothing Myth: if I can’t get to the top then I won’t lead
          Ever played board games/sports/etc. with someone who has an “If I can’t win, I won’t play” attitude? Leadership takes time, consistency and effort and if you’re not willing to try in out, maybe even have a few losses/failures, then how are you going to be successful when you get there?

I have to admit it, personally a lot of these things hit home for me while reading this book. I used to think that once I got to be a "insert whatever your dream title is here" then I would have it made. All my problems would dissapear and I would have achieved success. When considering these myths, they really started to make sense to me and I realized that what I really want is work towards is being a better me in my current role, obviously by growing my leadership skills, and have faith that the rest will follow. Life has a funny way of just working out sometimes don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment